Monday, June 20, 2011

Eine Sehr Schöne Hochzeit

This past weekend, I had the privilege of attending my friend Jenny's wedding up in Waterford. Jenny has been an integral part of my life at William & Mary - she co-lead my freshman small group, and then she and I lead an upperclass small group together this past Fall.  She is such a kind and thoughtful friend - it was truly an honor to attend her wedding!
This was also the first wedding that I've been to for a friend and not a family member.  Until now, the majority of the weddings I've attended have been for my aunts and uncles.  It's a bizarre reality watching your friends get married.  Throughout college, it feels like we're going to be here forever...that we'll stay in this social bubble.  But as I enter my senior and final year at William & Mary, I am realizing more and more that we're all on the brink of breaking out of this bubble into the "real world."  That's scary.  We'll go separate directions, and take steps to make a difference in the world around us.
As many of us commented, Jenny's wedding is the first of a season.  A season of change, a season of growing up.  I look forward to attending more friends' weddings, but I have to say I am glad that this was the first.  Jenny's wedding was simple, elegant, and radiantly beautiful - the perfect start to this exciting new chapter of her life, and what I have to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment