Friday, June 20, 2014

Is this real life??

This Lou is spending her summer in the Lou!  (see what I did there?)  Somehow I've already been back for two and a half weeks and it has just flown by!  So big news item #1....

We have a date for our wedding!!!  June 5, 2015.  More details to come soon - hopefully we'll have a website up in the next week or so.  Okay now that that's out of the way, big news item #2...

I'm officially an intern!!!  I'm doing my counseling internship at ALIVE (Alternatives to Living in Violent Environments), a counseling non-profit dedicated to serving and providing resources to victims of intimate-partner violence.  I am also seeing clients at Covenant, which makes for a nice balance of the types of cases I'll be seeing.  Which leads to big news item #3....

I saw my first client this past week!!!  I was absolutely terrified of my meeting with my first client.  What if I didn't know what to say?  What if we found nothing to talk about for the entire 50 minutes that I was in the room with her?  And God was so good, and brought me through that fear - and now I am so excited to sit in the room with clients.  I often compare it to the first time I answered the crisis hotline at ALIVE.  I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to help the person on the other end of the phone, and was legitimately shaking when I picked up the phone to say:
     "Alive; this is Sarah."
     "Hi Sarah, I'd like to reschedule my appointment for next week?"
     Instant sigh of relief.
It is so easy to psych-oneself out of these risky situations.  But in reality, it is just a conversation.  And I know I will need to continually remind myself of that, but for now, I am so excited to explore this field that I feel so called into.

No comments:

Post a Comment