Wednesday, October 31, 2012

it feels like home to me

Sitting in Dulles Airport was not my intended time to write a blog, but when you're flight's delayed for 2 hours, suddenly you have so much time!  Hurricane Sandy just swept through the east coast, and I have to say it was rather anti-climatic, at least it was here in Virginia.  Williamsburg is usually hit pretty bad by hurricanes (we were evacuated for hurricane Irene last year), and all they got was some rain.  Up here in DC, we had more rain and wind, but nothing even close to the effects of other hurricanes like Isabel and Charlie.  But, my flight was cancelled on Monday, and so I find myself sitting in the airport two days later, writing a blog.

This past weekend was Homecoming weekend at William & Mary.  It was so wonderful to be back on campus, but also very surreal.  I felt like I was home in many ways, but it felt very different - like a home that wasn't really home anymore.  I just knew in the back of my mind that I would be leaving in two days.  That I was not a W&M student anymore.  That, in a sense, I didn't belong there.  Don't get me wrong, I loved being there.  And I wanted very much to just stay and be a student there again - to re-enroll in classes and be in Orchesis again.  But, as my friend remarked to me, I actually do not want that.  I would be weird for me to be back at W&M without everyone that I know there; without it being my time.  And I know that, but the wishful thinker in me just wants us all to be seniors again.  Why do we have to grow up?
Some quick highlights of the weekend:  strolling through CW, seeing some very dear friends (RUF friends, Orchesis loves, and even my Sinfoni-family!), seeing Orchesis in Dancevent 2012 (definitely my favorite part of the weekend), and wandering around campus.  I miss being there so much - not just the school, but the town as well.  Because I was so involved in the life of the community in my last semester, I feel very connected to Williamsburg, not just the campus.  Honestly, I can see myself living in the Tidewater area at some point in my life - I would love to work with the families down in the peninsula.  The eastern peninsula of Virginia is by far the poorest part of the state, and I would love to be a part of serving and rebuilding that community.

No comments:

Post a Comment